Project Resolve: Finding Zen at Work

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

So here's a little story for you, kids. Today was my first day at work in 2012. Despite a metric ton of magical thinking that the past three days had transformed me into a zen-like efficiency master, I had a day as hellish as any in the past. Granted, this is typically one of the busiest times of year for me, but, woof, this was a rough one.

After a bout of insomnia, I dragged myself out of bed a half hour later than my ideal wake-up time. I turned on a favorite Pandora station and hopped in the shower. What felt like less than 10 minutes was actually 20. The clock read 8:35. With my admittedly delightful 10-minute commute, this meant that I had 15 minutes to get ready. I ended up arriving ten minutes late, out of breath and sans makeup. This was not a good look.

I brought an avocado for breakfast, but didn't take the time to eat it. It became my lunch. By 4 I was skulking around the office kitchen searching for unwanted baked goods. Between the lack of sleep and food, and general stress, I'm pretty sure I stopped speaking English around 5. Actually, that's a fact. Ask my colleagues.

Which brings me to New Year's Resolution #1. Find zen at work. To help guide myself along the way, I created these handly little reminders above and below. I hope you find them helpful too, and be on the lookout for more as I set my 2012 resolutions! In the meantime, I'd love to know what tips and tricks you would add!


Images: Jenn Lore (Dept. of the Interior)

||

4 comments:

Erin C. said...

And yet, you still found the time and energy to blog. Bless you, hun! ;) You + me + Kaitlyn = Drinks. Soon.

Tommy said...

I love your list and graphic. Do you have one of those mondo coffee makers at work? I don't drink coffee, but my favorite thing is to use the super hot water tap from our coffee maker and pour it over instant (high fiber) oatmeal. Let it sit for about two minutes, and you're good to go for breakfast. I've also recently added more vitamins and supplements to my daily routine--fish oil, vitamin D, and marine extracts. Yum.

Happy new year!

Ashley said...

Adorable graphics and great advice, too!

Nikki Rappaport said...

Oh gosh, that first graphic is so cute! Eat breakfast for sure...it's the most important meal of the day! :) I'm going to try and take your other advice too.